The T-Mobile Galaxy S4 is at present running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS which denotes that it will take a while until the new Android 4.4 KitKat update will be made accessible for you. Since now Google released its latest Android firmware only for the Nexus devices (as usual) but throughout the following weeks we are expecting to see the first OTA release rolled out by the major companies out there; and yes I am talking about the Samsung, HTC and Sony mainly and after then about LG and also the Motorola.
Similar thing is applying for your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 too. However, when discussing about official OTA launches it should be clear for you that the Android 4.4 firmware will not hold all the devices at the similar time. This is occurring because frequently the official updates are being rolled out slowly or in phases so some Galaxy S4 users will receive the KitKat software quicker as compared to others. Now, as the authorized release date of the mentioned update hasn’t been yet offered, maybe you will want to update your smartphone ahead of official launch date.
If so, you will have to use the present step by step guideline. Well, throughout the following guidelines we will be checking on how to update the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 KitKat with KitKat KangBang Custom ROM firmware. Well, in a few words you will flash an unofficial port of the Android 4.4 on your own T-Mobile SGS4; consequently this guideline is also unofficial as the KitKat KangBang custom ROM represents a free aftermarket allocation of Android 4.4 platform.
Even though this is not an official version of Android 4.4, the KangBang custom ROM is constant ,steady and comes with stock and extra KitKat features, apps and capabilities that will easily run on your T-Mobile Galaxy S4. The update has been customized particularly for your Smartphone so that’s why after flashing the software you will be able to enjoy the enhanced performances, better speed, upgraded the battery life time, convention looks and so on.
According to those who have tested the KangBang system on the S4 there are some troubles with IR Blaster which is not working correctly, while the screen rotation capability gets stuck sometimes but restarting the app is resolving this matter. Anyhow, all the bugs included on the platform will soon be resolved by the devs and you will be updated with a new version of this Android 4.4 Kit Kat foundation custom ROM.
In order to securely complete the present step by step guide you will first have to take care of the, which are being mentioned and detailed below. Don’t pass over this section of it is the most relevant part of this tutorial.
Pre requisites tasks must be Followed
- Root your T-Mobile Galaxy S4; the root access is being compulsory because an unofficial update can be installed only if the internal system is unchained. Of course, the root access is also an unauthorized operation which will make you lose the warranty of your handset. Be watchful during the application of these procedures as you don’t want to brick your Android based device while trying to change its OS.
- Install the latest version of TWRP recovery on your T-Mobile Galaxy S4; after gaining root access you need to return the stock recovery with a custom one because a custom ROM can be flashed only by using the same. Mainly, the custom recovery image is providing a user friendly interface between your phone and its internal system. Use the most recent version of TWRP recovery because the Android 4.4 Kit Kat KangBang firmware has been tested on the SGS4 via the same.
- As declared before, the warranty of your phone will get lost. Now, you can bring back the warranty by downgrading your T-Mobile S4 to stock Jelly Bean OS, or by updating with the forthcoming Android 4.4 OTA firmware – take note that on rooted handsets the OTA releases can be installed only manually, so in our case by utilization of Odin.
- Backup the SGS4 data because a wipe will be needed. Also you will have to clear the cache and when applying these operations the data which is saved on the internal storage memory will get washed out. Now use the backup and restore apps from the Google Play for saving the contacts, market apps, internet settings, EFS folder, call logs, personal information and so on and use TWRP recovery for making a Nandroid backup (save the current ROM).
- Notebook or a computer is necessary because this is a manual update operation; also since we are talking about the computer, you need to immobilize the antivirus or security protection from the same before going any further.
- A manual update operation means that you have to manually apply the firmware on your phone. To do so, your S4 must contain more than 50% power left; else your device might get turned off in the middle of the flashing operation.
- You will also have to attach your Smartphone with your computer; now for being able to safely establish the connection, first on your Galaxy S4 go to the “menu -> settings -> developer options” and enable the USB debugging option.\
- Use the steps from underneath for updating the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 KitKat firmware with KangBang custom ROM only if you have the mentioned device and not a parallel model of the handset – this tutorial is well-suited only with the T-Mobile variant of SGS4.
How to Install Android 4.4 on T-Mobile Galaxy S4 using KitKat KangBang Custom ROM Firmware
- Firstly, download the update file by going to this page.
- Then Save the firmware on your computer.
- Don’t unzip the Android 4.4 Kit Kat update; just place it on desktop.
- At this time, connect your S4 with the computer via USB cable.
- Then, copy-paste the downloaded files from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- Detach the USB cord.
- Now, turn off your Smartphone.
- After that, reboot in recovery mode
- From the recovery, wipe the system by selecting “wipe data factory reset”.
- Then, clear the cache by selecting “wipe cache partition” and “clear dalvick cache”.
- Now, return to main menu of recovery.
- Then select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Choose the firmware file and flash the Android 4.4 update on the Galaxy S4.
- After the end from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system the now”.
Perfect; well done. you have managed to complete our dedicated step by step guideline. Due to this, now you be familiar with the way to update your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 Kit Kat with the KangBang custom ROM firmware. Test the new firmware and share your feelings with us.
Install KangBang Android 4.4 Kit Kat on T-Mobile Galaxy S4 I535 Custom Rom
Before installing this ROM, it is pertinent to talk about that ROM flashing can cause your phone to brick. While, the majority of ROMs these days prevent your device from getting bricked, it is still advisable to carry out the caution. Because it will be your dependability in the event of your device getting bricked.
- KangBang Android 4.4 Kit Kat on T-Mobile Galaxy S4 I535 Custom Rom [File: KitKat_KangBang_1.0.3_Master.zip]
- Google Apps [File: gapps-jb-20131107-signed.zip]
Install KangBang Android 4.4 Kit Kat on T-Mobile Galaxy S4 I535 Custom Rom
- Attach your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-I535 with the PC through a USB cable.
- Download the KangBang Android 4.4 Kit Kat file and immediately copy this file to the SD card of your phone.
- Certify that you are using the latest CWM recovery (184.108.40.206 +), if not you will see a “set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed”.
- Disengage your phone and switch it off. And certify that you wait 5-6 seconds to complete the power down cycle.
- At this time, you will boot the T-Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-I535 into the recovery mode, by press and hold in downward direction the Volume Up button, together with Home Button and the Power button, wait for some time, till the screen flashes, release the three buttons after that. After a few seconds of that, the phone will enter recovery mode.
- Then, once in the recovery mode, obtain a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM. This is essential in facilitating you to recover your present ROM install, just in case the new ROM does not perform according to your liking. Now to perform a backup, choose the Backup and then Restore, carry on to the next screen and select Backup again. After that come back to main recovery menu when the backup is complete.
- When it done, select wipe data/factory reset, select ‘Yes’ on next screen to verify your action. Now wait for a few minutes so that the phone wipes your data. When this procedure completed, then returns to CWM recovery menu and Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Now, select install zip from sdcard and select the choose zip from your sdcard. Currently locate the KitKat_KangBang_1.0.3_Master.zip file that you copied previously in the Step 2 and select it by pressing Power button. Make sure the installation process by selecting yes. Now, install the zip file on the next screen.So.in this way the ROM installation will start on.
- When the phone finishes installing the ROM, you need to re-do step 7, but select the gapps-jb-20131107-signed.zip file as a replacement of the ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- While the GApps get installed, then return to the main recovery menu and choose the reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into custom KangBang Android 4.4 Kit Kat. The first boot will take a few time, so be tolerant! And don’t make any hurry.
You are now running latest KangBang Android 4.4 Kit Kat ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-I535. If you are facing any problems, consider free to talk about it in our comments section.