Do you have Galaxy S3, but now you want to get the latest phone from Samsung? Well, it is possible you can do that without buying new Galaxy S4; well, it is strange as it sounds, thanks to those of xda-developers now even you can port the Galaxy S4 UI, apps, features and the capabilities to your Samsung Galaxy S3. Of course, here I am talking about a new custom ROM firmware, which had just been released for you. This ROM is dubbed as Glance S4, as it is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and here you can learn how to flash the same on your SGS3 by following and also applying on the guidelines from below.
As already mentioned, above the Glance S4 custom ROM is based on the Galaxy S4 UI, although it comes with all the features, apps, capabilities and with looks that are installed on the Samsung’s latest flagship. Now best is that now you can update it same on your Galaxy S3. Therefore, if you want as Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to look and perform just like, the S4, don’t hesitate and please install the Glance S4 firmware on your smartphone. Don’t take tension as this tutorial will easily take you through the whole flashing operation.
As usual, here you should know what a custom ROM means; within a few words, what it should be clear for you: The Glance S4 is developed by third party devs and not by the Samsung or also not by Google, so it is not an official update; The Glance S4 is a free aftermarket distribution of old Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS; firmware is now coming with stock and extra features that you cannot found in the default version of the Android system; this software can only manually applied, by using these suitable step by step guide, it is just like the present one.
Now, here if you want to test this Galaxy S4 based UI, Glance S4 the Android 4.2.2 JB firmware on Galaxy S3, then you have to:
- You have to Root your smartphone because the custom ROM can be installed only on unchained devices. So, if it gain root access for removing the factory and by default restrictions from your phone.
- Then, root it as once access is granted, install custom recovery image on your device. As usually it is recommended to flash CWM or the TWRP recovery, but you can also choose to apply any custom recovery image you prefer.
- Backup SGS3 data – so you can able to apply the software a wipe will be required here. Therefore, if you don’t want to lose any kind of your personal data, info and accounts from the internal storage memory of phone, consider in backing up the contacts list, also in call logs, EFS folder, market apps and in everything else you might need.
All of these procedures are essential as you cannot complete this tutorial without performing the up mentioned and the detailed operations. Anyway, unfortunately, if you root your phone, you will lose Galaxy S3 warranty. So, if your cell gets bricked then you will not be able to return it to your carrier, or to retail – you will be by yourselves. The best option is that you can choose to restore its warranty. In order to do so, stock Android firmware must be applied here, or you just need to update with an official version of same (hopefully the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean soon). Just remember on the rooted handsets the OTA released can be installed just manually.
On the other hand, if you want to update your Galaxy S3 to Glance S4 custom ROM firmware, here you will have to use a computer and also phone’s USB cord. Because here we are dealing with an unofficial operation, although you will download the update file manually, deactivate or uninstall the security programs on your computer. Then Enable USB debugging option (if you don’t know this then how follow “settings -> applications -> development”) and then charge your phone in case as it has less than 50% power left. And if your device gets turned off in the middle of the installation process, your S3 phone might get bricked.
The Glance S4 is just compatible with the latest XXUFME3 and XXUFME7 firmwares versions that have been OTA rolled out for Samsung Galaxy S3. Furthermore news, this tutorial is compatible only with I9300 version of SGS3, so don’t use these next steps if you have own a similar or different Android powered device.
How to Update your Galaxy S3 i9300 with Glance S4 Custom ROM Firmware (based on Galaxy S4 UI)
- As you can already tell, by just seeing the first step, the Glance S4 software must be downloaded.
- So,you have to go here and get the firmware.
- Save file on your computer; preferable on desktop.
- Don’t unzip the file here.
- Use the orignal USB cable of your Galaxy S3 and then connect the device with your computer.
- Then, you have to copy-paste or drag and then drop the update file from your computer to your S3 SD card.
- Unplug the USB cable now.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- Select “wipe data as factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition”.
- Choose “advance” and then “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to the main menu of recovery.
- Select then “install zip from SD card” and then “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file.
- Install it as same.
- In the end reboot your phone.
- If a boot loop is what you get now, return to recovery menu and then select “wipe data factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition”; reboot. If you get any problem then try to repeat the update procedure from the beginning.
Good job cheers, you are done. Now the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 has been successfully installed with the updated Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS powered by Glance S4 Custom ROM firmware. Remember that this software is only based on the Samsung Galaxy S4 UI, so test its new features, apps and also the capabilities and then return here for sharing these results and your impressions with us.